Candy + Bagel

Responsibly Handmade Fashion by Jean Chung

WIPs & FOs: Jenny's Easy Graft, Stripey Socks, and Marty's Vest

WIPs & FOsJean ChungComment
My Stripey Socks, toe grafted with Jenny's Easy Graft method.

My Stripey Socks, toe grafted with Jenny's Easy Graft method.

My WIP list is getting a little bit shorter! The most recent sock project is my Stripey socks, out of Kroy Sock Yarn in Blue Striped Ragg colorway (75% Washable Wool 25% Nylon). I'm done with the first sock and started on the second sock already.

For the toe, I tried a new technique called "Jenny's Easy Graft." I met Jenny at the TNNA show this year in Indianapolis. She designs lovely handknits, which are available on Ravelry. While I was stalking her on her Instagram account, I discovered her Easy Graft technique, and I finally gave it a try on this new sock.

EasyGraft2

Like the name suggests, this technique is super easy to follow. I usually use the regular Kitchener stitch to close the toes but I never liked that loose last stitch that I have to carefully try to close by weaving in the ends. This Easy Graft results in a really neat toe graft, the edges of the graft are totally undetectable.

The "hardest" part was to flip the sock inside out with the needles still hanging on the stitches. I don't think I could do this if I use DPNs but on Magic Loop, I just put the cable part of the circular needle into the toe first, then flip the sock inside out. 

Yarn: Cascade 220 Sport in Jet; Needles: US 3 /3.25 mm (Main) and US 1 / 2.25mm (ribbing)

Yarn: Cascade 220 Sport in Jet; Needles: US 3 /3.25 mm (Main) and US 1 / 2.25mm (ribbing)

 

The most recent FO is Marty's sportweight vest which I started about 2 or 3 years ago. I designed it for his body and wanted a lightweight vest so I chose to knit this in sportweight yarn, which may be the main reason why this has been hibernating for a couple of years. I knitted it flat, and finished the Back piece, cast on for the Front and stopped knitting on it.

Fortunately, I had the notes from 2 years ago saved on my ipad, so I was able to pick up where I left off and finish the front. The bodice is 17.5" long, and the armhole is 9" long. I hope I can persuade him to try it on for more photos but the temperature in Southern California has been around 80~85 degrees everyday this week so he hasn't had a chance to put it on yet ;)